Wash hands wear a mask watch your distance
Current Students MENU
Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall

housing and residence life



COVID-19 Residence Hall Plan





The Office of Residence Life welcomes you to West Virginia State University. I would like to personally thank you as you could have chosen any other university but you picked us. My hope is that as a member of the "Yellow Jacket Nation," your residence hall becomes a home away from home, where you will make memories, discover friendships, and develop into the best version of yourself.

By living on campus, you will interact with people who are talented and unique. You will meet people whose experiences, values, and priorities are different than your own. Studies indicate that students who reside on campus, on average, earn higher grades, are more likely to continue in college, and are more likely to graduate within four years. The residential community is a supportive environment where there is an appreciation of individual differences and a respect for individual rights. We hope you learn about your own diversity and the diversity of our campus.

We couldn't be more excited to have you join us in the residence hall. Our team is here to assist you in making your stay with us enjoyable and successful through their effort and dedication. We strive to create a positive experience that everyone can enjoy. If I can be of any assistance to you in your transition to the residence hall, please do not hesitate to visit or contact our office at 304-766-3037. My office is located directly in the middle of campus in the Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall. I look forward to meeting and conversing with you.


Derrien Williams
Director of Housing and Residence Life

CLICK HERE TO Apply online for 2021-22 Academic Year

Please complete all forms in there entirety and click submit at the end. Please understand that housing space is limited and assignments are based on current availability. IN ORDER TO ENSURE AN YOUR HOUSING SPACE, YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR HOUSING DEPOSIT PRIOR TO ARRIVAL. 

Housing Deposit Information For 2021-22 Academic Year
New Students:
 A $200 application fee is required with this application.

  • $50 is a non-refundable Housing Application Fee.
  • $50 is non-refundable and will be applied toward your housing costs when you arrive. 
  • $100 will serve as your damage deposit and will be held until you complete your stay within the residence halls at WVSU, as long as the room is left in satisfactory condition.

How to Pay: Please call, stop by the Cashiers Office, or make Checks payable to "West Virginia State University" and place in the memo section "Housing Deposit for 'Students name and their "A" Number" and send it to the Cashiers Office.

Cashier's Office
West Virginia State University
P.O. Box 368
Institute, WV 25112
Email: cashier@wvstateu.edu
Phone: (304) 766-3141
Fax: (304) 766-5258
Office Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Haven Adkins
Hometown: Chapmanville, WV
Classification: Junior
Years as an RA: 2
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA because I get to interact with more people and get out of my comfort zone."

Hunter Breeden
 Dorothy, WV
Classification: Junior
Years as an RA: 2
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA to get closer to the other students on campus."

Tori Burns
Hometown: Laurel, MD
Classification: Sophomore
Years as an RA: 1
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA because it gave me a chance to work with a team and learn to handle multiple responsibilities. I also wanted to meet new people and have an impact on their lives. Becoming a RA relieves some of the financial stress on me and family."

Jesus Velasco Espin
 Mexico City, Mexico
Classification: Sophomore
Years as an RA: 2
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA to interact with the entire campus. I love to help people when I can and also make friends along the way."

Joseph Hayslette
Hometown: Charleston, WV
Classification: Sophomore
Years as an RA: 1
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA to help my fellow students and bring out the best in our residents."

Rachelle Madison
 Grand Blanc. MI
Classification: Sophomore
Years as an RA: 1
Why you choose to be an RA: "I wanted to be an RA because its a great leadership experience opportunity."

Smiling student holding a sign saying You're In. Congratulations.

Exemption Process

A. As stated under "Housing Requirements," West Virginia State University has a two-year on-campus residency requirement for all out-of-state students starting their freshman year. Out-of-state transfer students must have lived a total of four semesters on a university campus to be exempted from living on campus. Students who live within the 50 (road) commuting miles do not have to apply for housing unless they desire to live within the residence halls. Howvever, if you live within the 50 commuting miles and decide to stay on campus, then you must be exempted from living on campus if you decide to move off campus. Students must receive an exemption prior to moving off campus. If a student moves off campus prior to receiving an exemption, he/she will still be responsible for the room and board charges through the University.
B. It is important that when requesting an exemption that students pay close attention to the exemption deadline. Exemptions to this requirement must be requested in writing (on a Release Request Form obtained from the Residence Life Office or on the Residence Life website) and submitted by November 15, 2021 for 2022 Spring Semester release or May 3rd, 2022 for 2022 Fall Semester release. Release requests will not be accepted after these dates

A Release Request Form may be submitted to: The Office Residence Life, West Virginia State University, Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall, Institute, West Virginia 25112, or to reslife@wvstateu.edu.

Exemptions to this requirement may be granted to students under certain conditions. They are:

  • Student commutes to campus from the principal residence of a parent or legal guardian living within 50 (road) commuting miles. The student must provide a birth certificate signed by one or both parents or legal documentation of guardianship, and a valid driver's license or current utility bill in the parent's/guardian's name to verify the address of his/her residence.
  • Student is twenty-one years of age or older, having reached that age no later than the first day of classes for the applicable semester or having graduated from high school more than two years prior to the beginning of the semester.
  • Student is married. A copy of the marriage certificate must be submitted as documentation.
  • Student has custody of dependent children. A copy of the birth certificate(s) must be submitted as documentation.
  • Student can demonstrate other acceptable extenuating circumstances and provide documentation to support the request for exemption.

C. Upon receipt, requests will be reviewed by the Director of Residence Life. A written determination will be mailed to the student. If the student's request is denied he/she will have ten (10) days in which to submit a written appeal to the Office of Student Affairs as outlined in the denial letter.
D. All non-exempt freshman and sophomore students must comply with this requirement.

Wondering about what you need to bring? Each room is furnished with a desk, bed, drawers, and closet space. To help make this your home away from home, we have put together a list of helpful tips and "things to bring."

The Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall

  • 289 total beds
  • 78 suite-style units – two, three and four-bedroom plans
  • 9 fully-furnished apartment-style units with rental rates inclusive of electricity, water/sewer, trash service, cable and Internet service. With the exception of two of the apartments, each apartment houses two students, in which each student has their own room and bathroom.
Community amenities:
  • Pickard Café, which provides an additional option for dining available until 11 p.m. during the week
  • Gaming Room
  • Free Centralized laundry facilities on each floor

Dawson Hall

  • 94 total beds 
  • Double Occupancy
  • Computer lab
  • Free on-site laundry facility
Dawson Hall residents are welcome to use the gaming room located in Keith Hall.

Keith Bedroom
Keith Bedroom 

Bed, desk and other furninture inside residence hall room.

Keith Common Space In Suite
Keith Common Space In Suite

Common space inside Keith Hall rooms.

Keith Laundry Room
Keith Laundry Room

Keith Hall Laundry room.

Keith Cafe
Keith Cafe

Keith Hall cafe.

Keith Game Room
Keith Game Room

Keith Hall game room.

Dawson Hall Room
Dawson Hall Rooms

Dawson Hall room.

Fall 2021-22 Student Move-In

All new student placements will be sent to student's State e-mail account prior to move-in. It is important that students pay their deposits prior to arrival to receive a housing assignment. For new students, a $200 application fee is required with this application:

$50 is a non-refundable Housing Application Fee.
$50 is non-refundable and will be applied toward your housing costs when you arrive. 
$100 will serve as your damage deposit and will be held until you complete your stay within the residence halls at WVSU, as long as the room is left in satisfactory condition.

Student carrying boxes to move into residence hall.

WVSU’s fall semester will begin Monday, August 16, 2021. Move-in dates for the 2021-22 Fall Semester are as follows:

Date First Letter of Last Name
Tuesday, August 10, 2021 (Incoming Freshmen and Transfers ONLY) A-M
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 (Incoming Freshman and Transfers ONLY) N-Z
Friday, August 13, 2021 (Returning Students) A-M
Saturday, August 14, 2021 (Returning Students) N-Z

Students wishing to arrive on campus in advance of their set move in date will need to send an email to reslife@wvstateu.edu for approval. This does not ensure that you will be able to move in early.  Additionally, there may also be a charge to move in prior to the move-in date. 
WVSU Campus Map for Move In (pdf)

Example of residence hall room with bed, desk and chair.

As students are settling in, we ask that they do not drill holes into our walls and/or use Command strips. The Office of Housing and Residence would prefer students to use thumb tacks instead. No Command strips may be used at all. Students will be charged if they use them. Any damages incurred by students will be billed to them.  

Housing Assignment Information
Our Residence Life staff works diligently to review all of the housing application materials submitted to our office to determine the best possible placement. This is not an exact science, but we do make our very best effort to match students based upon their lifestyle preferences and expectations. Considering occupancy may change due to updated, new, or rescinded applications. All assignments are tentative. 
When you receive your housing assignment letter, it will include the name and contact information for your roommate(s). We encourage you to contact your roommate right away!
How are Incoming and Returning Students Assigned to Housing?
All new incoming students must be admitted to the university and are assigned a housing placement based on their application date and $200 housing deposit submitted. The earlier a student pays his/her deposit for housing, the more likely he/she will receive their desired housing preferences.
Returning students are assigned based on when there application was submitted. There will be same room priority sign-ups starting April 12th with first priority going to Senior students. 

All students living in 2-, 3-, or 4-person suites will be assigned roommate(s), so it is essential that you complete the "Personal Lifestyle Preferences" section of your housing application completely and accurately. The Office of Housing and Residence Life cannot guarantee your roommate selection. In order for roommate requests to be considered, the request must be mutual between both roommates. 
Why do I Have to Submit a $200 Housing Deposit?
All incoming residential students applying to West Virginia State University will submit a housing deposit:

$50 is a non-refundable Housing Application Fee
$50 is non-refundable and will be applied toward your housing costs if you show. 
$100 will serve as your damage deposit and will be held as long as you live on campus.

The $200 housing deposit serves as a reservation for housing. A student will not be placed until they pay their housing deposit. The $100 refundable breakage housing deposit is kept on file for the duration of semesters in which the student resides in the residence halls. Upon your departure from on-campus housing, the $100, less any damage expense, will be returned to you after filling out the Room Breakage Refund Request Form. 

For Current Residents:
  • Please keep in mind that housing reserves the right to deny this request, based on the student's actions and treatment of space, from the previous year. 
  • Dawson Singles - There are a limited amount of Dawson Singles. The students who apply with the highest GPAs will be placed in the Dawson Singles. If you are currently in a Dawson single or a space that was made into a single - this is not guaranteed for the following year. You can still express a preference for a Dawson single. Preferences ARE NOT guarantees. 
  • Keith 2-BR Suites - As with the Dawson Singles, Keith 2-BR suites are limited. The students with the highest GPA's, along with good behavior in the residence halls, will be placed in the 2-BR suites. If two students want to reside in a 2-BR suite together, both students must qualify. If one student has the GPA and the other student doesn't, then only the student with the qualifying GPA will be placed in the 2-BR suite. Typically, freshmen are not placed in 2-BR suites but may placed in them if needed.

We look forward to seeing you in August!

Liability/Property Loss

The University does not accept liability for damage or theft of personal property.  Please ensure your suite and room door are locked. It is recommended that you either carry your own personal property insurance or determine if property loss is covered by your or your parent’s homeowner’s policy. In addition, you are urged to put proper identification on all your valuables and keep a list of them with descriptive information, model numbers and serial numbers.  Materials for registering all property are available with the Department of Public Safety office.


This contract is not intended to provide detailed residence hall information. University regulations and policies affecting residence hall contracts are subject to changes and additions. Such changes and additions shall be officially announced and/or posted in each residence hall and this shall constitute actual notice to residents. Changes and additions shall become effective and binding 48 hours after such posting or official announcement. Failure to observe University regulations or Federal, State, or local laws subjects the violator to University disciplinary action and/or prosecution in the civil courts, and/or remedial action under the terms of this contract including the authority to assess fines administratively according to the residential hall contractual violations. Also refer to University publication: Student Code of Conduct “The Buzz”.

The University assumes no responsibility or liability for personal property of students. This includes damage, loss, fire, theft, flooding, etc. Students desiring this kind of protection must make their own arrangements for insurance. Residence halls are the property of the University, under the control of the WVSU Board of Governors and/or the WVSU Foundation, and in certain instances have been pledged under West Virginia law to secure funds used to defray the cost of their construction.

A room key/card and/or code shall be issued to each student. The key/card shall remain University property, loaned or licensed to the student only so long as the student may rightfully occupy the residence hall room to which the key/card provides access. The student shall not deliver, surrender, or otherwise relinquish possession of the key/card to another person without the consent of an authorized University official, nor shall the student duplicate or modify the key/card or cause or permit the key/card to be duplicated or modified. Responsibility for immediate supervision of residence halls lies with West Virginia State University and requires the reservation of a reasonable right to enter into student rooms.


Occupants agree to pay for damages, lost or stolen property, or additional service costs caused by facility abuse or neglect. Damage or loss must be reported promptly to a Residence Life staff member. Occupants will be responsible for damage to or within the unit and for damaged or missing furniture or equipment based on the current cost of labor, materials, and/or replacement cost of item(s). If two or more students occupy the same unit and individual responsibility for damage or loss cannot be ascertained, charges will be divided and assessed equally among occupants of the unit. Residents share in the responsibility for the condition of the common areas within their assigned building and may be assessed fees for damage or theft to a hall floor/wing or other common areas of the building that cannot be attributed to a particular individual(s). These charges must be paid in accordance with the established billing schedule. Persons identified as damaging property may be charged with vandalism, under the crimes code of West Virginia, and may also face Housing and/or University judicial action.


Pets are prohibited within the residence halls. Students with the need for service or assistance animals should contact the Office of Counseling and Accessibility Services for more information regarding service/assistance animal procedures. This is must be done prior to the pet being on campus. 


Due to the extreme danger that fires pose in a residential community, any resident who: a) ignites any facility, furnishings and/or equipment; b) interferes with fire officials; c) interferes or tampers with a fire alarm system or safety equipment including sprinklers, heat or smoke detectors, fire alarm pull stations, and pull station covers; or d) places false alarms will be subject to immediate removal from the suite/room and to further applicable university and or civil action. All occupants are required to participate in fire drills. Evacuation of the building by all occupants is required immediately after the fire alarm sounds. Failure to evacuate will subject an occupant to a judicial referral. The storage of explosive or flammable substances, possession or use of other flaming articles, to include candles and incense, within any suite/room is strictly prohibited. In addition, building codes limit the number of occupants and guests to the maximum allowed by room square footage.


Refrigerators and microwaves are provided only in the apartments. Residents may bring one additional small refrigerator (not to exceed 2 amps) provided the unit does not cause power problems for the space, in which case its use shall be discontinued.

The following are additional appliances are permitted in student suites/rooms: coffee maker, electric blanket, fan (portable), gaming systems, hair dryer/straightener/curler, heating pad, printer and or scanner (those with built-in Wi-Fi will need to be shut off when not in use), stereo/DVD player and television.

The following are appliances not permitted in student suites/rooms: air conditioning unit, ceiling fan, electric potpourri burner, electric space heater (except in extreme weather conditions as approved by the university), electric skillet, fog machine, George Foreman or similar grill, halogen lamp, hot plate, hot pot, wax/candle burner, kitchen knives exceeding 4” in length, popcorn popper, toaster, and toaster oven. The University reserves the right to add or delete items to the list of permissible and prohibited appliances.

All appliances must be plugged in within the room and must not exceed the amperage limits of circuits in the suite/room. Overloading outlets are not permitted. To protect computers and other electronically sensitive equipment, surge protection outlet strips with a built-in 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker protector are strongly recommended. Multi-outlet electrical adapters or power strips must be UL approved and have a built-in 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker. Extension cords must: a) be UL approved; b) not be frayed or worn; c) must not be used to power appliances that exceed the rated electrical capacity of the cord. The university reserves the right to confiscate unauthorized or dangerous appliances or to restrict their use if safety/power consumption issues arise.

Apartment Residents: May use provided units within the suite (full kitchen). Apartment residents may have and operate in the kitchen area - George Foreman or similar grill, kitchen knives not exceeding 4” in length, rice cooker, blender, toaster, and toaster oven.


Residents are responsible for their own key/Room Code and for their access to their room/suite. However, it is not uncommon for students to accidentally lock themselves out of their room/suite. Therefore, the assistance of a Residence Life staff member may be needed in the event of a lockout. The policy for lockouts is as follows.

  1. There is a grace period at the beginning of each semester for students to get acclimated to their surroundings and become accustomed to carrying their key/card to access their room/suites. This grace period is the first three weeks. No charges will be assessed for lockouts that occur between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. the following day. Lockouts between 11:05 p.m. – 7:55 a.m. during this time frame, however, the student will be billed a $25 fee.


Room and board charges are added to the student’s account with the University and are subject to settlement in accordance with the terms and conditions of the WVSU Cashiers Office billing system, which is provided in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs. Periodic statements will be posted on the student’s My State page, showing the amount due the University and the payment due date. Details of this plan may be obtained from the Cashiers Office. A student whose account is delinquent will be subject to the penalties provided in the plan. Checks returned to the University for insufficient funds or any other reason will be assessed a service charge at a rate determined by the Cashiers Office billing system. Within seven days after a bill is rendered, students must pay for assessments for damages to their room, attributed public area damage, and/or for a pro-rated share of damages to areas of their residence hall which are not assignable to an individual, including damage attributed to activation of smoke detectors and sprinkler heads.


The University reserves the right to: assign space; authorize or deny room and roommate changes; and require a student to move from one room or residence hall to another. If this necessitates assigning the student to another residence hall with a different room rate, the new rate shall automatically be applied. Open beds will become available throughout the residence hall system during the year. The residents in these underassigned rooms generally have the choice to guarantee the room as a temporary single (Dawson Hall Only) for the remainder of the academic year by paying the pro-rated higher rate for the balance of the contract or to retain the room as standard occupancy, with the understanding that a new roommate could be assigned at any time. The original resident does not have the option to change his/her room to a temporary single once the open space has been reserved for another resident.

Assignments are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation. Students of the opposite sex will not be assigned to, nor may they occupy, a bedroom together in traditional hall spaces. Students who are not checked-in to their residence hall room by the third day of classes at the beginning of each semester and who do not notify the Office of Housing and Residence Life in writing of a late arrival may be reassigned to another room or residence hall on a space-available basis. A resident shall not: sublet, allow anyone to live in his/her room who is not assigned by Housing and Residence Life, or assign this contract to any other person. Residents who allow their room to be used in violation of this provision are subject to a penalty charge not to exceed the full room charge for each violation for the full contract period. Residents may not have visitors stay for longer than 72 hours in any 14 day period and no more than 6 days in a given month. Residents may not have overnight guests in their residence hall room without the advance permission of their roommate(s).


Due to limited space within our residential buildings, at certain times during the academic year, it may become necessary to consolidate residents by reassigning them to new rooms/suites. The purpose of the policy is to ensure spaces for incoming students and rectify the inequitable condition which exists when many students end up living alone (without roommates) or when the total number drops by half in rooms traditionally designated as double, triple, or four person rooms/suites. Students living in a room/suite with a vacancy will receive correspondence from the Office of Housing and Residence Life describing your options. Students required to move due to the consolidation policy will have 72 hours from the time the email was sent. Generally, students will not be required to move into other buildings or other suite types. Housing and Residence Life will make efforts to keep students affected by the Consolidation Policy within the same building and floor (if available spaces exist). 


All residents of West Virginia State University Residence Halls are required to purchase a Residential Dining meal plan. University identification may be used only by the student to whom it was originally issued. University identification illegally used will be confiscated. No refunds are made for meals that are missed for any reason. Residents who would like to change meal plans may do so during the Fall semester anytime at no cost.


Residence hall contracts are for an entire academic year (August to May) or the balance of the academic year remaining at the time the contract is initiated. Residents may file a Contract Release Request for an exception caused by a change in academic status: withdrawing from the University, participation in a full-semester academic assignment (student teaching or internship) outside of Kanawha Valley Region, participation in study abroad or completing requirements for graduation and not continuing as a WVSU student past graduation. Once signed, a residence hall contract may not be canceled by the student if the student is enrolled at the University during the contract period. Students requesting an exception for any purpose need to complete and submit a Contract Release Request form and all required documentation for their specific request. Details for submitting a Contract Release Request may be found on the Department website. All release requests must be submitted by the student who is making the request.


Students living in the residence halls are expected to maintain full-time student status. Students assuming part-time status may submit a written request to continue their residence hall contract. The University may deny a contract to or cancel a part-time student’s residence hall contract.


Students must notify the office of Housing and Residence Life in writing as soon as they withdraw from the University. Students are expected to vacate their residence hall room within 24 hours of their university withdrawal. A resident may request an extension to this deadline by contacting the Director of Housing and Residence Life. The student’s Residence Life & Services contractual obligation is active until their University withdrawal is verified.


A residence hall contract may be denied a student or terminated with subsequent financial penalties by the WVSU Housing and Residence Life based on the student’s past record of violation(s) of the residence hall contract(s). Students residing on a residence hall floor which, in the judgment of the University, has exhibited a pattern of damage and/or other disciplinary problems may not be eligible to return to the residence halls for the next semester or academic year. The University reserves the right to determine that the past behavior and/or criminal record of any student (including being found delinquent by a juvenile court) is such that the interests of the University, the student him/herself, and/or other students, would best be served by alteration or cancellation of a Residence Hall Contract. If Housing and Residence Life becomes aware that a student has a record of criminal conviction(s), falsification of records or other actions indicating behavior(s) that could pose a risk to person or property and/or could be injurious or disruptive to the residence hall community, the University may not accept or may cancel and terminate the Residence Hall Contract. If the contract is so canceled, the student shall be entitled to a full pro-rated refund of room and board fees as of the date the room is vacated. If the student is already residing in the residence halls, he/she may request an appeals board hearing within five (5) days. The decision of the appeals board is final.


When a student’s contract is terminated by the University for violation(s) of the contract, the student shall pay liquidated damages to the University in an amount not to exceed the student’s remaining financial obligations under the original terms of the contract. The University shall determine the exact amount of liquidated damages in each case. If the student defaults in the payment of room and board fees or in the prompt and full performance of any provision of this contract, the University may, upon three (3) days written notice, invalidate the student’s meal plan without obligation to give credit to the student for meals missed as a result of such action. If the default is not cured within the three-day period the University may, upon ten (10) days’ written notice, forthwith terminate this contract and the student’s right to possession of the premises and all other contracted benefits. If after ten (10) days’ notice to do so, the student has not surrendered possession, vacated the premises, and delivered possession to the University, the student thereby grants to the University full and free right, with or without process of law, to enter into and upon the premises and take possession of the premises as of the University’s former estate and to expel or remove the student and to remove any or all property of the student without being deemed guilty of trespass, eviction, forcible entry, or detainer. Property of the student so removed shall be donated to a registered 501(c) organization. The University shall in no way be responsible for the value, preservation, or safekeeping of any items removed from said room. Furthermore, any student whose contract is terminated in accordance with the foregoing provisions shall be forbidden under penalty of arrest for criminal trespass to enter or remain in any West Virginia State University residence hall without the written consent of the University.


The following are rules that apply to the residence halls and should be followed. These rules apply to all residence halls. 


1. Apartment/Room Inspection: WVSU Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to inspect individual rooms to: a) ensure proper maintenance of health and safety standards; b) take inventory; c) make necessary repairs; d) perform extermination/pest control services; e) add/remove furniture, and f) enforce university policies. Housing and Residence Life staff will make periodic, announced/unannounced checks of all residence hall rooms. These checks are performed to identify health, safety and maintenance problems. Residents do not have to be present during these checks. Residence Life will leave a sheet stating whether your room passed or failed. If the room fails, then you will have 48 hours to make the correction(s). If the correction(s) aren't made within the time period, then the student may be subject to a fine.

2. Room Care: Residents are responsible for: a) cleaning their rooms; b) removing waste material regularly (Both Keith and Dawson residents are responsible for taking their own waste out. Keith Hall students must dispose of their trash in the trash room, which faces the Quad area. Dawson students must dispose of their trash in the large trash bins to either the South or North stairwell located first floor of Dawson Hall); and c) maintaining sanitation and safety conditions acceptable to the university.

3. Decorations: Pictures, posters and other materials may be hung using pushpins and/or tacks. If damage is done to the walls (paint peels, drywall tears, etc.) the room/suite occupant(s) will be charged for labor and materials to repaint the area. The use of nails, screws, glue, masking tape, Command Adhesive, and other adhesives on walls, ceilings, wardrobes, woodwork, appliances, fixtures, doors or furniture is prohibited.  All decorations must be removed when the resident vacates or the student will be charged a cleaning fee. In addition, students may not attach anything to the sprinkler system head.
Students may decorate the outside of the door provided decorations: a) are not lewd; b) do not block exits; and c) do not create a potential fire or safety hazard. 

4. Noise: All WVSU residence hall quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m during the week and start at midnight during the weekends.  While music may be played outside of the quiet hours, noise levels during those hours should be low enough not to disturb others. It is always 24/7 courtesy hours - meaning that any excessive disturbances will not be tolerated. Students will be fined accordingly if they violate this policy. During Finals week, there will be 24/7 quiet hours during that week and weekend to provide residents with an atmosphere conducive to preparing for exams.

5. Safety

  • Do not give building/room access codes to anyone. This includes letting anyone in the residence halls who do not reside in them.
  • Do not prop open exterior doors or permit people to enter residence halls through Fire/Emergency Exits.

6. Overnight Guests: Currently, non-residential student visitation is not allowed. Only students who reside in the residence halls will be allowed to visit other residential students.

7. Complicity

  • Presence during any violation of university policy in such a way as to condone, support, or encourage that violation. (NOTE: As a Residence Hall family we are responsible for our home away from home. Students who anticipate or observe a violation of university policy are expected to remove themselves from the situation and are encouraged to report the violation.)  
8. Furniture: Students are not permitted to bring additional furniture such as futons, sofas, dressers, etc. into the residence halls without prior approval from the Director of Housing and Residence Life. WVSU does not provide storage space for additional personal items or unversity furnishings, to make room for additional personal items. In addition, WVSU furniture must remain in their respective unit and common area; i.e., beds should remain in the student's room as opposed to within the common space. Removal of furnishings from the unit, common areas and/or buildings is prohibited. The responsible student(s) may be referred to the WVSU judicial system and/or civil process. Common area furniture found in an individual unit will be removed and the resident(s) will be assessed a fine.

9. Housing during Winter/Spring Break
During the academic year, students wishing to stay during the following breaks: Winter Break (Winter Break is not covered in student costs. Student will have to pay extra), and Spring Break will need to contact Residence Life to request to stay over the break. If granted permission to stay during the break, you may be asked to move to another location during the break period.

10. Solicitation: No door-to-door solicitation is permitted in WVSU owned or managed buildings by individuals or groups. The occupant of an individual suite is permitted to invite individuals, groups, organizations, associations, and corporations to conduct group or individual commercial and noncommercial solicitation in the individual suite provided such activity does not: a) create undue noise; b) disturb either the occupant's roommate(s) or occupants of nearby rooms; or extend out into the hallways; d) break any policies and laws.

All residence halls are smoke-free environments.

  • Burning candles, incense or other such ‘open flame’ luminaries are not permitted. Wax burners are also prohibited.
  • Electronic cigarettes are not permitted in the building(s).
  • No marijuana use inside the residence halls and/or outside of the halls.
Prohibited Items. These include, but are not limited to:
  • Weapons
    • Firearms
      • Guns and ammunition
      • BB Guns
      • water/toy guns etc...
    • Knives (not including butter knives) larger than 3 inches.
      • switchblades, hunting knives etc...
    • Tasers
    • Fireworks and or any explosives
    • Bow and arrows etc...
  • Candles and wax burners/melters
  • Pets of any kind (Unless approved by the Office of Counseling and Accessibility Services prior to the pet being on campus)
  • Natural trees or evergreens
  • Futons
  • Hotplates
  • Halogen lamps
  • George Foreman grills
  • Air Fryers
  • Crockpots/Rice cookers
  • Toaster oven​
  • Alcohol, alcohol paraphernalia, shot glasses
  • Possession, creation, use, and/or sale of illegal substances and paraphernalia
    • sale or distribution of legal/over the counter medication is also prohibited. 
** This is not an exhaustive list. Residents should contact the Housing and Residence Life Office if they are unsure if something is allowed.


Any person or persons who cause(s) hazing is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be: fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars; or confined in a county or regional jail not more than nine months; or both fined and imprisoned.  Provided that if the act would otherwise be deemed a felony as defined in the hazing code, the person committing such acts may be found guilty of such acts and/or may be found guilty of a felony and be subject to penalties provided by law for such felony. 
In accordance with the goal of educating and assisting students with conduct problems, the Vice President for Student Affairs may recommend such other forms of disciplinary action as may be appropriate to the individual case.  These may typically involve work or research projects or recommendation for counseling options.


West Virginia State University is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION institution and does not discriminate against any person because of race, sex, age, color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin. This policy extends to all West Virginia State University activities related to the management of its educational, financial and business affairs. It affects all employment practices including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, layoff, and  termination.

"Emotional Support" are:
  • animals that work, provide assistance, or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or
  • animals that provide emotional support which alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person's disability.
Some, but not all, animals that assist persons with disabilities are professionally trained. Other assistance animals are trained by the owners. In some cases, no special training is required. The question is whether or not the animal performs the assistance or provides the benefit needed as a reasonable accomodaon by the person with a disability at all times. Assistance animals my be considered for access to university housing, however, they are not permitted in other areas of the university (e.g. libraries, academic buildings, classrooms. labs, student center, etc.).

Assistance/Emotional Support Animal Policy

Under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), a person may keep an assistance animal in his/her residence hall or campus apartment as a reasonable accommdation if:
  • The individual has a disability;
  • The animal is necessary to afford the individual with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy campus housing; and 
  • There is an identifiable relationship between the disability and the assistance the animal provides.

Assistance animals are primarily allowed in the residence hall(s) or campus apartments for which the individual with a disability is assigned by the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The initial request and disability verification forms must be submitted to Student Accessibility Resources by June 1st for the fall semester, and October 1st for the spring semester.

Students must complete the intake interview and submit any requested additional information by July 1st for fall semester and November 1st for spring semester.

An individual with a disability may be asked to remove an assistance animal from campus housing if the animal:
  • is out of control and individual does not take effective action to control it.
  • poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others (that cannot be reduced or eliminated by another reasonable accommodation),
  • causes substantial physical damage to the property of others (including University housing), or
  • poses an undue financial and administrative burden to the University.
SAR and Housing and Residence Life may place reasonable conditions or restrictions on approved animals, depennding on the nature and characteristics of the animal. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis using an interactive process involving the student and staff of the aforementioned offices.

Prior to bringing an animal to campus, you must print and return the Assistance Animal Agreement and the List of Owner's Responsibilities to the Housing and Residence LIfe Office. The university has policies and procedures in place that outline what animals are allowed on campus and in residence halls and buildings.

For more information, please visit the Student Accessibility Resources webpage.
What is Quarantine/Isolation?

is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent the spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. People in quarantine should stay at home, separate themselves from others and monitor their health.  You will discuss quarantine living options with the contract tracer. Students may quarantine by returning home, quarantining off-campus, or by moving into a quarantine room on campus. You must continue to monitor yourself for virus symptoms for the full 14 days. 

Isolation keeps someone who is sick (experiencing symptoms) or has tested positive for COVID-19 without symptoms away from others. You must remain in isolation for 10 days after the first day of symptoms, or a positive test result as determined by the Office of Student Affairs in conjunction with the Kanawha County Health Department. While in isolation, if you experience symptoms and want to speak with a medical professional please contact the on-campus health care provider, FamilyCare Health Center (304) 766-3323, or your health care provider of choice. If you violate your isolation you will be required to immediately leave campus and finish the remainder of your isolation off campus at your own expense.

For additional information please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

Entering Quarantine/Isolation

Once you have checked in to your quarantine/isolation space, you will not be able to leave for any reason apart from COVID-19 testing, medical treatment, or an emergency.
 Limiting movement to your room reduces the likelihood of community spread. Please make sure you have everything you need when entering quarantine/isolation. 

Where will I be staying?

Students who have been designated to quarantine will reside in Sullivan Hall East wing, which is located to the left and through the double doors when you enter from the campus quad area.

Students who have been designated to isolate will reside in the Sullivan Hall West wing, which is located to the right and through the double doors when you enter from the campus quad area.

What should I bring?

Please prepare the following items for your quarantine/isolation period. Students will not be allowed back into their assigned room until they are cleared to return. No personal items will be retrieved for a student after they have moved into your quarantine/isolation space. Please double check that all your personal and academic needs are packed, as it may be up to a 14-day stay.  

Room needs:

  • Pillow and pillowcase 
  • Comfortable blanket
  • Personal needs  
  • Clean, comfortable clothing
  • Slippers/house shoes are encouraged
  • Water bottle
  • Snacks 


  • Gaming system
  • Hobbies (knitting, puzzles, etc.)
  • Books


  • Shampoo/conditioner, body wash/soap, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products, deodorant, shaving razors/cream, etc.
  • Eyeglasses/contacts and related supplies  
  • Medications  
  • Thermometer 
  • Hand sanitizer 
  • Face Coverings

Academic needs 

  • WVSU ID, wallet with state/government-issued ID, health insurance cards  
  • Laptop and charger  
  • Phone and charger  
  • Headphones  
  • Textbooks, notebook, pens/pencils, and highlighters

How do I get to my quarantine/isolation room on campus?

If a student selects to quarantine in Sullivan Hall East or isolate in Sullivan Hall West, an official from the WVSU Public Safety Department will initiate campus protocols and help you locate your designated room. The student will receive an email containing the designated room and a link to the Thompson Hospitality Services Menu to inform our staff of their meal preferences during their stay.

How will I receive my meals?

All meals will be provided by Thompson Hospitality. Housing and Residence Life, along with Athletics, will work directly with you for meal delivery to your room as well as discuss any specific dietary needs. Students will be asked to visit the Thompson Hospitality Services Menu at https://www.wvsu-thscampusdining.com/whatsonthemenu and complete the Google Drive form with their meal preferences for the remainder of the week. Meals for the following week are due each Sunday by 8:00 p.m.

May I have items delivered to quarantine/isolation?

Our staff will work to deliver packages to your room in quarantine/isolation. Please know that packages may arrive at your current location up to 24 hours after receiving the notification. Staff will knock on your door and leave your package outside of your room. Please remember to always wear a mask when you open your door. 

Am I able to attend remote classes if I am in quarantine/isolation?

Students in remote courses should continue their coursework unless they are too sick to do so. In those cases, students should work with their instructors.

What is the cost of housing?

Housing Cost for 2020-2021 (Academic Year)
Room and Board Charges
All Residence Halls Rate Per Semester
Keith Scholars Hall 2BR $ 3,881
Keith Scholars Hall 2BR (Quad/Yard view) $ 4,025
Keith Scholars Hall 3BR $ 3,881
Keith Scholars Hall 4BR $ 3,881
Dawson Single $ 3,621
Dawson Double Unavailable at the time due to COVID-19 social distancing guidelines.
Board Plans  
Board - Option # 1 - Premium - 19 Meals Plus 4 Late Night Meals & $150 Flex Dollars $ 2,488
Board - Option # 2 - 19 Meals, and $175 Flex Dollars $ 2,201
Board - Option # 3 - 15 Meals and $175 Flex Dollars $ 2,273

Fees are subject to change.
What is an Resident Assistant?
A resident assistant (RA) is a student staff member who also lives within the residence hall.  Resident assistants facilitates the social, academic, and personal adjustment of students to the residence hall(s) and University.

When do the residence halls open?
(Please read info in "Student Move-In" Section). 
Do the residence halls remain open during breaks?
Residence halls are closed for Winter Break and Summer Vacation. Students who need to stay for Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Break must receive approval prior to the stay. Thanksgiving and Spring Break are not included in housing costs, therefore, students who request to stay during this time will be billed extra. Depending on space available and number of students requesting to stay, students may be moved to a different hall.

Students may leave their belongings in their rooms during the Thanksgiving, Winter and/or Spring Break at their own risk.  WVSU will not assume any responsibility if a student's possessions is damaged and/or stolen. Any belongings left during breaks should be moved to one side of the room along with the mattress, covers, pillows and cases.  The University will not store student possessions over the Summer. 

What if I have a housing request based on medical needs?
Students with special medical needs must submit documentation from a physician before the housing priority deadline of June 1 for the fall semester or November 15 for the spring semester. Medical requests will be considered after you have filed documentation with the Office of Disability Services and turned that information in to the Office of Residence Life. 

Are all students required to have personal health insurance?
All students are expected to carry personal health insurance and may be aasked to show proof prior to moving in the residence hall(s).

What are the bed sizes in the residence halls?
All beds are standard Twin XL.
Are the residence halls carpeted?
Residential rooms in Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall are wood grain/laminate, while Dawson Hall has tile floors.  You are welcome to bring a carpet remnant or scatter rugs for a more personalized approach to your housing space.
What type of furniture is provided in each room?
Each room is equipped with a bed, desk, dresser and closet space for each student.  Each suite in Keith Hall has a common area which is equipped with two chairs, while Dawson Hall has a common area in the lobby.  Keith Hall also houses independent apartments that are equipped with a furnished kitchen, living room and bedroom, as well as a study desk. 
What happens if I lose an assigned key or slide card?
Please report the loss to the Office of Housing and Residence Life.  There is a charge of $75 to change a lock (Sullivan Hall) and $25 to change a door code (Dawson and Keith Hall).  A slide card is $100.00 to replace (Keith Hall).  The total amount will be billed to your account.  Additionally, you are responsible to return all campus issued keys and/or slide cards when you leave the halls.  Replacement costs will be assessed for failure to return these items. Do not give your key/keycard to anyone!
Are students required to live on campus?
WVSU traditional students are required to live on campus.  All freshmen and sophomore students who do not commute from the permanent legal residence within a 50-mile radius of the campus are required to live in a residence hall.  This requirement is waived if the student has served two or more years in the U.S. Armed Forces or has completed the reserve obligation.  This requirement is also waived for students who have lived in a college residence hall for six semesters or have a disability which makes the University residence halls impractical. A married student, single parent, or a student 21 years of age prior to admission to WVSU can also waive the residency requirement.
What appliances should I leave at home?
Routers and candle/wax burners/melters are not permitted at all. Please refer to "Housing Contract Terms and Conditions" and review the different appliances that Apartment Residents and Suite occupants are not permitted to have in the spaces. Air fryers, hot plates and grills (including George Foreman Grills) are also not permitted. 
Can I bring a microwave and refrigerator with me?
The following restrictions must be met:

Refrigerators should be no larger than 4.6 cubic feet max, 1.8 amps, 110 volts, UL approved only.  In the interest of fire prevention, electrical outlets must not be overloaded. No devices for the purpose of cooking are allowed in residence hall rooms, with the exception of the following: pop-up toasters (not toaster ovens), blenders, can openers, coffee makers and juicers.  Microwave ovens are permitted in student rooms provided the microwave oven has been UL approved and does not exceed 700 watts.

Are there laundry facilities on campus?
Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall and are currently free to wash and dry for on-campus residents ONLY.
What if I don't get along with my roommate?
Residents should notify Residence Life of any issues with roommates via email or through scheduling a meeting. It is our duty to ensure that all residents feel comfortable and safe. If the issue(s) can not be resolved then 
How do I insure my personal belongings?
Since WVSU is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property from any cause, we recommend that you check to see if your belongings are covered under your family's homeowner's insurance policy.  If this is not the case, you may wish to buy renter's insurance, which is reasonably priced.
Regardless of coverage, items such as your stereo, TV, camera, VCR, refrigerator, computer should be engraved for identification purposes.
Does WVSU have maintenance and custodial services?
Resident students are expected to keep personal areas clean along with the public areas such as bathrooms, lounges, lobbies, hallways, laundry rooms, study and TV lounges. Custodial personnel will clean these areas daily.  Maintenance problems in student rooms should be reported promptly by completing a Maintenance Request on the main Residence Life and Services page (this can be done on your computer or mobile device) then follow it up with reporting to any Resident Assistant and/or Director of Residence Life. If the issue is an emergency, please bypass the Maintenance Request and call 304-766-3181 directly. If after 4:00 p.m., press "2" and state the emergency to the worker who answers the call.

Maintenance personnel respond in the order in which the requests are received.  Maintenance usually try to complete the work within 24 hours of the request but it is not guaranteed depending on the severity of the issue.  
What are quiet hours?
Quiet hours are in effect from:
  • 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. on weeknights and 12 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.
If other students in your hall are bothering you with noise, you have the right (at anytime of day or night) to ask them to keep the noise to a minimum.  If trouble persists, feel free to notify your RA, who has the option and authority to set disciplinary procedures in motion.  Students are encouraged to keep the volume of their stereos low.  As a rule of thumb, residents are encouraged to have no more than two guests per resident visiting their room at any one time, in order to maintain courtesy quiet hours.
Is there a meal plan?
Students residing on campus are required to participate in the University's meal plan.  However, students residing in the apartments, located within the Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall, are not required to participate in a campus meal plan.  However those students are encouraged to do so.  For more information, please see Dining Services.

What are the dining hours? 

Goldston Dining Hall Hours

Monday - Friday
Breakfast 7:30 - 9:30 a.m.
Lunch 11:30 - 1:30 p.m.
Dinner 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.

Brunch 10:40 - 12:15 p.m.
Dinner 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.

William F. Pickard Cafe Hours
Monday - Friday
9:00 - 9:00 p.m.

11:00 - 5:00 p.m.

For your safety, no more than 50 guests are allowed at one time and all guests are required to wear masks. There is limited seating available.
How are mail and packages received on campus?

During the Academic Year: 
Students living in the halls may pick up mail/packages at the Sullivan Hall West front desk. The mail room is completely operated by work-study students and hours are based on their availablity. The hours are listed below, but are subject to change based on the availability of work-study students.

2020 - 2021 Hours
Monday - 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday - 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday - 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Thursday - 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Friday - 1:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed
For mail: For packages:
West Virginia State University West Virginia State University
Student Name-Hall-Room Number Student Name-Hall-Room Number
P.O. Box 1001 Fairlawn Ave & Barron Drive
Institute, WV 25112 Institute, WV 25112

Additionally, personal mail boxes are available for rent in the University Union. During Summer, due to the lack of students staying within the residence hall, students will need to pick up their mail from the Post Office. 
Should I bring my computer and are the rooms wired for computer connections?
Students are able to enjoy free, direct, unlimited access to e-mail and the Internet from any residence hall room. Students without their own computer can use the conveniently located computer labs in the University Union, Library and several other locations around campus. Personal routers ARE NOT permitted in the residence halls as they interfer with the campus WiFi systems. Students found to be using personal routers will be fined and the routers confiscated. 
Am I allowed to have a pet in the residence halls?
No pets are allowed in the residence halls, unless approved through the Office of Counseling and Accessibility Servies, prior to the pet being on campus. Students are permitted to have non-meat eating fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons. 
Am I allowed to have guests in my room?
Due to Covid-19, we are suspending visitation for all individuals who do not reside on the campus of West Virginia State University. In addition, each residential student will only be allowed to have one guest who also lives on campus in their suite/room each.

Can I bring a car to campus?
All students may have the privilege of using a motor vehicle (including motorcycles) on campus provided it is registered with WVSU Public Safety and they pay the fee for a parking sticker.
Can I bring a bicycle to campus?
All students bringing bicycles to campus are asked to register their bicycle with Campus Safety. Students cannot ride their bikes in the hall and any damages caused by the item will be billed to the student. 
What is the process for Check-In and Check-Out?
In order to expedite the process, students should must make sure they are following proper check-in and check-out procedures. Failure to do so will result in an Improper check-in/check-out fine.

  • Inspect new room/suite with RA.
  • Upon inspection, you will a "Pink" copy from RA for your records.
    • You will have 24 hours to return the "Pink" copy with any additional repairs needed.
  • Retrieve new key/code(s).
    • As always, for security reasons do not share codes/keys with anyone 
  • Clean room/suite and throw out all trash
  • Pack up all belongings before obtaining a cart (Carts are limited. We want to ensure all students have the opportunity to use the carts).
  • Have an RA inspect room before moving to new room. 
  • Return your key/key card (if applicable) .
  • Trash removal, cleanliness, missing/damaged furniture items will result in a bill.
What is Room Change Period?
Due to COVID-19 GUIDELINES, there will be no room change period prior to, during or after move-in unless there are extenuating circumstances. This is for the safety of all students in the residence hall. Students who move without approval from the Director of Housing and Residence will be assessed a fine and must return to the original space.

What is the Consolidation Period?
Due to limited space within our residential buildings, at certain times during the academic year, it may become necessary to consolidate residents by reassigning them to new rooms/suites. The purpose of the consolidation period is to ensure spaces for incoming students and rectify the inequitable condition which exists when many students end up without roommates and/or suites are not full. 

Students required to move due to the consolidation policy will be required to move within seventy-two (72) hours of receipt of their e-mail. Generally, students will not be required to move into other buildings. Our office will make efforts to keep students affected by the Consolidation Policy within the same building and floor (if available spaces exist).
WVSU Yellow Jacket Sports
Get sports schedules, up-to-date scores and results, ticket information and more from the official athletic site of West Virginia State University.
WVSU Bookstore
The Bookstore is where you can purchase books, stock up on school supplies and get your Yellow Jacket gear and apparel.

Financial Aid
The Financial Aid website will help you get financially prepared to attend school and provide give advice and guidance for students and parents is available.
Campus Support Services:
Campus Safety
Collegiate Support and Counseling
Health Services
Public Transportation Links for Charleston and surrounding areas
KRT - Kanawha Valley Regional Transport
Yeager Airport

Our Team

Derrien Williams
Director of Housing and Residence Life
(304) 766-5719
Vikki  Green
Program Assistant
(304) 766-3037
Neil Higgins
Graduate Assistant
Apply for Housing Icon
Office of Housing and Residence Life

Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall S114
(304) 766-3037
(800) 987-2112, ext 3037
Fax: (304) 766-5174
E-mail: reslife@wvstateu.edu
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Summer Hours)

Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Regular Hours)

Keith Hall Info Desk (Main Desk)
(304) 766-3037

Maintenance Request FormMaintenance Request Form
WVSU TV Channel ListingsTV Listings


Important Links

Student Job Opportunities

Follow Us on Social Media For Updates
Twitter icon  



If you are leaving West Virginia State University  
Scroll to Top