International Students MENU

International Students

We are excited that you have an interest in West Virginia State University.  Below you will find the required steps for all international students interested in undergraduate program study. Graduate level applications can be found under the specific program descriptions under the Academics section.

image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowAdmission of Undergraduate Students
  1. Application for Undergraduate Admission

  2. Official transcript(s) (original or “Certified True Copies”) of all academic records submitted directly to the Office of Admissions from all schools previously attended.  All foreign documents must be accompanied with an approved foreign credential evaluation. (We recommend WES or ECE)
           If a national examination is required upon the completion of schooling in the country of origin, official results of the examination must be
           submitted to WVSU.  (Students from countries with a General Certificate of Education (GCE) examination system must receive a grade of
           six or higher in at least five academic subjects, one of which must be English.)

      3.  Standardized Tests
          All students for whom English is not their native language must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS Exam. On the TOEFL, a minimum of score 500 (paper-based exam), 173 (computer-based), or a 61 (Internet-based) is required. On the IELTS, a minimum score of a 5.5 is required. These students may choose to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam.
          Students for whom English is their first language must take and submit the SAT or ACT. A student who is unable to take the ACT examination before arriving to WVSU must do so at the first available testing date or the registration will be voided.

       4. Immunization Records
If admitted, the following documentation is required:
      1.  Financial Affidavit of Support (This document is provided by the Office of Admissions after acceptance. As an international student coming to the United States, you will need to secure an F-1 student visa. The F-1 student visa permits an individual to enter the United States for full-time study at an authorized institution in the United States. To obtain F-1 status, it is necessary to submit the following forms:
          •  Affidavit of Support with required documentation
          • Supporting financial documents as evidence of financial resources in the form of a copy of personal taxes and a letter from the bank indicating a satisfactory account (in USD), and a comparable amount of money available for the duration of the educational program.
          • $150 Service Charge fee must be paid before I-20 will be shipped. To pay this fee, you may call the Cashier's Office at 304-766-3141 or log into your MyState account. 
**International students transferring to West Virginia State University from another United States college must apply for immigration approval (Form I-538) and the F-1 Transfer Clearance Form prior to making the transfer.**

Application Process
Applications for all terms are processed on a daily basis with priority given to the upcoming term.
Admissibility will not be evaluated before an application is received. If transcripts, test scores, and other documents are sent to The Office of International Affairs before an application is submitted, they will not be evaluated.

If you have any questions about your application status, please email

Scholarships are available after a successful completion of one full-time academic year (two full-time semesters) of study at WVSU.  Specific scholarship amounts will be based on the student’s cumulative GPA  after the completion of the second full-time semester at West Virginia State University.
Scholarship offers will be generated prior to the beginning of a student’s third semester of study at WVSU.

Scholarships are renewable for up to six full-time semesters if the student maintains a minimum GPA of 3.0 and mandatory weekly attendance in the Academic Affairs Study Hall sessions provided in the student’s first semester.
image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowExpress Shipping
West Virginia State University ships letters of admission and form I-20 via USPS. This process can take approximately 7-10 business days. For more information about express shipping options, please click the link below.

E-Ship Global for WVSU
image-up-arrowimage-down-arrowFinancial Information for International Students
A student who is a non-U.S. citizen might qualify for need-based student financial aid programs under the following conditions: 
         • The student is a U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island). 
         • The student is a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551 or I-551C). 
         • The student is an eligible non-citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) showing one or more of the following designations:
               • Refugee
               • Asylum Granted
               • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
               • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
               • Victims of Human Trafficking T-visa (T-2, T-3, T-4, etc.) Holder
               • Parolee (The student must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and must be able to provide evidence from the Dept. of
                 Homeland Security/USCIS that he or she in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or
                 permanent resident.)
Eligibility notes: 
          1. If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you are not eligible for federal student aid.
          2. If you are in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, you are not eligible 
              for federal student aid.
          3. Persons with G-series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible. For more information about other types of visas that
              are not acceptable, check with your school's financial aid office.
          4. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are eligible only for Federal
              Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) and Federal Work-Study; contact the Office of Financial Aid
              for more information.
          5. An Authorization for Parole document alone is not sufficient for financial aid.
Scroll to Top