West Virginia State University | West Virginia State University
What is the cost of housing?
Room and board rates are posted on the webpage of each individual hall.
When do the residence halls open?
The residence halls open for new incoming students on August 14th & 15th.  Returning students may come back to campus on August 16th & 17th.
Do the residence halls remain open during holidays and breaks?
Residence halls are closed for Winter Break and Summer Vacation.  Students may leave their belongings in their rooms during Winter and Spring Breaks at their own risk.  Any belongings left during breaks should be moved to one side of the room along with the mattress, covers, pillows and cases.  The University will not store student possessions over the summers months
What if I have a housing request based on medical needs?
Students with special medical needs must submit documentation from a physician before the housing priority deadline of May 15 for the fall semester or November 15 for the spring semester.  Medical requests will be considered after you have filed documentation with the Office of Disability Services and turned that information in to the Office of Residence Life.
What are the bed sizes in the residence halls?
All beds are standard twin size (long form).
Are the residence halls carpeted?
Residential rooms in our Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall are wood grain/laminate, and Dawson Hall has tile floors.  You may want to bring a carpet remnant or scatter rugs your housing space for a more personalized approach.
What type of furniture is provided in each room?
Each room is equipped with a bed, desk, dresser and closet space per student.  Each hall has a common area that is equipped as a sitting area with chairs or sofas.  Keith Hall is also houses independent apartments that will be equipped with a furnished kitchen, living room and bedroom as well as a study desk.
What happens if I lose an assigned key or slide card?
Report the loss to the Office of Residence Life.  There is a charge of $75 to change a lock and $25 for each new key.  A slide card is $100.00 to replace.  The total amount will be billed to your account.  Additionally, you are responsible to return all campus issued keys and/or slide cards when you leave the halls.  Replacement costs will be assessed for failure to return these items.
What is an RA?
A resident assistant (RA) is a student staff member working and living in a residence hall.  Resident assistants provide support, guidance and assistance for resident students.
Are students required to live on campus?
WVSU traditional students are required to live on campus.  All unmarried freshmen, sophomores, or juniors who do not commute from the permanent legal residence of a parent guardian, or grandparent, within a fifty mile radius of the campus are required to live in a residence hall.  This requirement is waived if the student has served two or more years in the U.S. Armed Forces or has completed the irreserve obligation.  This requirement is also waived for students who have lived in a college residence hall for six semesters or have a disability which makes the University residence halls impractical. Married student, or single parent, or a student 25 years of age prior to admission to WVSU can also waive the residency requirement.
What should I bring with me?
Click here for more details on what to bring.
What appliances should I leave at home?
Do not bring hot plates, grills (including George Foreman Grills) or toaster ovens.  Click here for more details on what not to bring.
Can I bring a microwave and refrigerator with me?
The following restrictions must be met:
Refrigerators should be no larger than 4.6 cubic feet max, 1.8 amps, 110 volts, UL approved only.  In the interest of fire prevention, electrical outlets must not be overloaded.
No devices for the purpose of cooking are allowed in residence hall rooms, with the exception of the following: pop-up toasters (not toaster ovens), blenders, can openers, coffee makers and juicers.  Microwave ovens are permitted in student rooms provided the microwave oven has been UL approved and does not exceed 700 watts.
Is there a meal plan?
On campus students residing in Dawson Hall and the Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall are required to participate in the University's meal plan.  Students residing in the apartments located within the Judge Damon J. Keith Scholars Hall are not required to participate in a campus meal plan.  However those students are encouraged to do so.  For more information, please see Dining Services.
What is the best way to receive mail and packages on campus?
All student addresses are “P.O. Box 1001; Student’s hall & room number; Institute, WV 25112-1001”.  Please inform those sending you mail and packages of the correct address.  With the proper address, your mail will arrive faster and be distributed efficiently.  Additionally, personal mail boxes are available for rent in the University Union.
Should I bring my computer and are the rooms wired for computer connections?
Students can surf the net from their on-campus room without dialing in!  With a computer equipped with an Ethernet card and an adapter cable, students can enjoy free, direct, unlimited access to e-mail and the Internet from any residence hall room.  Students without their own computer can use the conveniently located computer labs in the University Union and several other locations around campus.
Am I allowed to have a pet in the residence halls?
No Pets are allowed in the Residence Halls
Am I allowed to have guests in my room?
You may have overnight guests with prior authorization from your RA and roommate(s).  Guests will not be allowed in a room unless all occupants in that room are in agreement.  Residents must notify and get approval from their RD when they will be having overnight guests.  All guests are subject to University regulations and residence hall policies.  Residents are responsible for the actions of their guest(s) and guests should be escorted at all times.  Guests, not including family members, may stay a maximum of three days in the residence halls.  If a student feels his or her roommate(s) are not abiding by this policy, it is his or her responsibility to notify a Residence Life staff member.
Can I bring a car to campus?
All students may have the privilege of using a motor vehicle (including motorcycles) on campus provided it is registered with Campus Safety and Security.
Can I bring a bicycle to campus?
Bicycles may be kept in rooms as long as both roommates agree.  Bike racks are also located outside residence halls.  All students bringing bicycles to campus are asked to register their bicycle with Campus Safety and Security.
Are there laundry facilities on campus?
Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall.  Residents may purchase a prepaid laundry card in the laundry facility located in Sullivan Hall West Lobby.
What if I don't get along with my roommate?
Residents are permitted to change rooms during the official room change period that will occur after the third week of classes each semester.
How do I insure my personal belongings?
Since WVSU is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property from any cause, we recommend that you check to see if your belongings are covered under your family's homeowner's insurance policy.  If this is not the case, you may wish to buy renter's insurance, which is reasonably priced.
Regardless of coverage, items such as your stereo, TV, camera, VCR, refrigerator, computer should be engraved for identification purposes.
Does WVSU have maintenance and custodial services?
Resident students are expected to pick up after themselves in all public areas such as bathrooms, lounges, lobbies, hallways, laundry rooms, study and TV lounges. Custodial personnel will clean these areas daily.  Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms.  Maintenance problems in student rooms should be reported promptly by completing a work order at the residence hall front desk.  Students should retain the top copy should follow-up become necessary.  Maintenance personnel respond in the order that requests are received.  They are unable to predict the exact day and time the repair will be done, but usually complete the work within 24 hours of the request.  They work Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-4 p.m., except in cases of emergencies.  Additionally, requests can be made by contacting your Resident Assistant or you Resident Director.
What are quiet hours?
Quiet hours are in effect from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. on weeknights and 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, so you and your neighbors may study and sleep.  Residents have many different schedules and lifestyles, but you will find life a lot easier if you respect each other's right to healthy habits. If other students in your hall are bothering you with noise, you have the right (at anytime of day or night) to ask them to be quieter.  If trouble persists, feel free to notify your RA, who has the option and authority to set disciplinary procedures in motion.  Students are encouraged to keep the volume of their stereos low.  As a rule of thumb, residents are encouraged to have no more than three guests per resident visiting their room at any one time, in order to maintain courtesy quiet hours.
Is soliciting allowed on campus?
Soliciting is not permitted in the residence halls.  Students should ask salespersons to leave the building if they are approached. If they refuse, call the resident assistant, head resident, area coordinator, or Campus Safety and Security.  Fraternities, sororities, clubs, organizations and residence hall associations are the only groups authorized to sell in the residence halls.
Am I allowed to have visitors on campus?
Guests are authorized in residence hall rooms.  All roommates must consent to any guests and overnight visitors in a room.  Overnight visitors must fill out a Guest Registration form.  Long-term guests are not authorized.  Specific time limits can be discussed with the Resident Director/Resident Assistant of your facility.  Cohabitation is not permitted in the residence halls.  ALL overnight visitors and guest must be approved prior to their visit, by the Resident Director.
©2016 West Virginia State University  |  P.O. Box 1000 Institute, WV 25112-1000  |  (800) 987-2112 | Mobile Site | Webmaster